History

A. D. Stowell School
By: B. Lehenbauer

In 1869 a private building was rented by the school district. It became the first public school on the south side of Hannibal. In 1872 South School Junior High School was built. In the 1890's ab addition was made giving South School 150 feet of Clay Street, now Fulton Avenue.

In 1904 Albert David Stowell was a Professor at South School. He started a student savings bank. They saved $1,232 in the first year! The idea spread to other schools. In 1922 $600,000 was given to the Hannibal Public Schools. An addition to South School cost $100,000. That's when the name was changed to A. D. Stowell. During World War II, the iron desks were used for the military.

In 1957, the buses started picking up kids. When the new Junior High School was finished in 1959, A. D. Stowell became an Elementary school. During the 1960's the playground was enlarged.

In 1979-80 the building was remodeled with new windows, new electrical service, and a new office area added to meet student, parent and staff needs.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.